Sunday, May 11

Kim Wawroschek's experience in Hodiya - pre school project

Sri Lanka, the „Pearl of the Indian Ocean“, welcomed me with endless dreamlike beaches, beautiful green tea estates and breathtaking mountains. I don’t know what I expected when I went there, but it was definitely not that diversity of beauty… Every area has its own special beauty, own climate and somehow even an own smell in the air…
Teaching in a preschool in a place so different from what I had known so far was a challenging, life-enhancing and wonderful experience. People around the school, children, teachers, parents and everyone else have been so kindhearted and willing to help that it was a real pleasure to be there.
Except the fact that I taught English to preschool students, being in Sri Lanka taught me a lot myself. During my stay I became more independent, open-minded and definitely more patient. I’m hoping to keep that feeling of serenity for a while…
Within the 6 weeks of my stay I have met a bunch of interesting people and made some beautiful friendships. To me, srilankan people always seem to be happy. And by happy I don’t just mean that they are in a good mood or friendly, it’s more that they seem to be satisfied with their life. That feeling was remarkable for me because in Germany or maybe in Europe in general having a “good life” is always measured by the wealth and people always aspire to have more. More money, a better job, a bigger house… So to witness and to realize that different understanding of happiness was a once in a lifetime experience.

Looking back, I gained so much more during my stay than what I dreamed of… 

No comments: