Tuesday, August 2

Aashna speaks about her YEP experience

The day I arrived in Sri Lanka I instantly began to fall in love with it but I didn’t know that soon it would become a part of me. Being a part of Youth Empowerment Project 5.0 will always be one of the greatest experience of my life. Not only have I made countless memories but I’ve found a family in Sri Lanka.
                          

All the interns were from different places and cultures and yet the bond we shared was magical. We've shared so many moments. From cooking to cleaning the house, travelling, learning each other’s languages, taking care of each other, dancing, singing, partying and the list goes on. Each day was so unique and beautiful that I can actually write a book on my experiences.


YEP 5.0 has been an amazing learning experience for me and it has helped me develop and discover myself. We conducted various sessions in different schools and universities. We all put in our best, worked together as a team day and night to make the sessions a success. Interacting with the students and teachers was an absolute delight. Each session was extremely special. One of the most overwhelming moments was when some students came forward and delivered a speech thanking us. That was a moment of joy for all of us and it made us feel that our efforts paid off.  


The main reason why my stay in Sri Lanka was so wonderful was because of AIESEC Colombo South. They have been so supportive throughout. I can’t thank the organizing committee enough for everything they did for us. They literally took care of us like we were their kids. There was no problem which was unresolved. They put in their best to make us feel comfortable. All our sessions were a success because of their constant motivation and feedback. They took us to the most beautiful places and organised trips. They made us their priority and gave it their all to make this experience memorable for us. All I can say is a big thank you to them. Saying bye to all of them and going back from Sri Lanka has been one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. But I feel so lucky to have them in my life and I know we all are a family who’ll always be connected and there for each other.

All in all, my experience in Sri Lanka was truly life-changing and something which I’ll cherish forever. It’s a place that has become home for me now and a part of me is always going to be in Sri Lanka. I hope to be back very soon.
Aashna Sadana is an undergraduate of
Indraprastha College for Women, University of Delhi, India

No comments: